Newbie

It was my turn to put the babies to sleep.
My ever efficient assistant took the toddlers to the playroom.
'J' cries when its nap time. She wants someone to hold her while she sleeps.
I held her and sang her a lullaby for a while. Then sat down and rocked her too. She was not yet asleep as I lay her on the matress. I lay down with her for a moment but then she held on to my neck and hair.

 
So I thought this can not be our routine because her caregiver in the Nursery would have difficulty putting her to sleep come September when there will be several babies in the room.
I didn't want to stand up and let her cry, tell her to close her eyes and just watch her fall asleep, could I?
This is about trust.
So I lay beside her and tell her in my sweetest voice that I'm here ('Ana hona' in Arabic).
I assure her that even as she sleeps, I will be in the room.
So only for today, I lay beside her, only for today....and maybe tomorrow.
But then again, how do I know if I'm doing the right thing?
I can calm hyperactive toddlers and comfort them and entertain them when they cry.
I can talk about Lady Diana, lightning bugs and mountaineering to wide eyed, curious, full-of-whys four year olds.
But I'm a newbie at putting babies to sleep, changing diapers and feeding.
But everyday I'm learning....
and open to suggestions.....

Comments

Popular Posts